UPMC Jameson located in New Castle, PA is hiring a Senior Respiratory Therapist to join the Respiratory Team! This full time role will work rotating shifts with no travel required.
Under supervision of physician and by prescription, provides respiratory therapy services and life support at an advanced level as defined by the department to patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system. Performs all duties of a Respiratory Therapist, RRT. Defined responsibilities are performed in pediatric, adult and geriatric patient populations and in all patient service areas.
- Interprets clinical data to optimize patient clinical objectives. Function as a Lead Respiratory Therapist (i.e., Charge Duty) in the absence of the Supervisor or Manager based on department need.
- – Monitors patient's physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry changes. – Performs bronchopulmonary drainage and assists patient in performing breathing exercises.
- Function as a senior level resource to other staff to facilitate problem solving, provide training, and demonstrate techniques.
- Manage high risk modalities such as High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV), High Frequency Jet Ventilation (HFJV), and Independent Lung Ventilation. Effectively administer all therapies such as Nitric Oxide (NO) administration and Tracheal Gas Insufflation (TGI). Perform advanced functions in non-traditional settings: OR, ED, Cath Lab, Lung Center, Recovery areas, Transport, etc.
- * – Maintains patient's chart that contains pertinent identification and therapy information. – Inspects and tests respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently. – Orders repairs when needed. – Demonstrates respiratory care procedures to trainees and other health care personnel.
- Perform bronchoscopy, Arterial Blood Gas (ABG) lab troubleshooting, complete pulmonary function tests, breath alcohol testing, EEG, EKG, Stress Testing, and 24-hour holter monitoring hook-up and scanning as needed. Evaluate the appropriateness of medical orders.
- – Sets up and operates devices, such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators. – Operates equipment to ensure specified parameters of treatment, such as volume, gas concentration, humidity, and temperature, and to administer medicinal gases and aerosol drugs to patients.
- – Performs pulmonary function tests to be used by physician in diagnosis of case. – Observes equipment function and adjusts equipment to obtain optimum results to therapy. – Consults with physician in event of adverse reactions.
- – Supervises students during training. – Assists to transport mechanically ventilated patients. – Responds to all code situations. Must successfully complete 1 approved project from the department's Project List during each annual performance review period. Must have attained a performance rating of Solid/Strong/Good or above on the last 2 consecutive annual performance reviews.
- Perform the duties of a Respiratory Therapist, RRT: – Reads prescription, measures arterial blood gases, and reviews patient information to assess patient condition and determine requirements for treatment, such as type and duration of therapy, and medication dosages. – Determines most suitable method of administering inhalants, precautions to be observed, and modifications which may be needed that will be compatible with physician's orders.
Graduate of a Co ARC (Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care) approved Respiratory program required.Associate's degree is required; Bachelor's degree is preferred.Two (2) years of total respiratory care experience with a minimum of one (1) year in critical care is required. Must successfully complete one (1) approved project from the department's project list during each annual performance review period. Project approved within 3 months of hire.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hireRespiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania required.Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) required. Respiratory Therapists who receive their RRT credential from the NBRC after July 1, 2002 are required to maintain certification under the NBRC requirements.
Employee must obtain required ACLS/PALS certifications within 1 year of hire/transfer
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Osteopathic Respiratory Care OR Respiratory Care Practitioners (RCP)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed