The Respiratory Practitioner shall provide all aspects of respiratory care under the guidance of a qualified physician and the Director of Respiratory Therapy.
- Is able to effectively administer oxygen mixtures utilizing various oxygen delivery devices. Can set up, initiate and maintain ventilators and CPAP devices.
- Is familiar with the principles of airway maintenance, endotracheal and tracheostomy care. Follows the procedures and observations for care during and after extubation.
- Initiates and maintains cardiopulmonary resuscitation and other related life support procedures.
- Confers with physicians regarding all aspects of Respiratory Therapy concerning patient care.
- Administers specific dosages of all Respiratory Therapy related medications as specified by a physician. Recognizes, interprets, and records signs and symptoms of medication side effects, particularly those that require notification of a physician.
- Effectively and safely uses equipment for delivering positive pressure, humidification, nebulization, and medications to patients.
- Effectively utilizes methods that assist in the removal of secretions from the bronchial tree such as, hydration, breathing and coughing exercise, postural drainage, chest percussion and airway suctioning.
- Performs 12 lead EKG’s and prepares them for physician interpretation.
- Is able to dismantle and reassemble most of the Respiratory Therapy equipment. Is able to take all necessary precautions to insure the safe handling of all respiratory equipment.
- Works well with each age level of patient. Is sensitive to the age specific needs of each individual patient and alters the clinical approach accordingly.
- Is able to occasionally oversee the work of Non-Certified Technicians who are performing those procedures requiring a high level of expertise.
- Participates in the department’s continuing education programs.
- Actively participates in Performance Improvement Processes.
- Interprets and carries out physician orders accurately and in a timely manner.
- Able to allay anxieties of patient/families regarding respiratory/cardiac procedures.
- Works with other departments to insure appropriate and efficient service to patients.
- Performs all aspects of pulmonary function testing, if trained. Effectively uses all department pulmonary function equipment.
- Is capable of working independently and can supervise the needs of their shi
Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed