The Renal Dietitian is responsible for providing medical nutrition therapy to renal care patients and promoting healthy eating habits to prevent and treat renal disease. The Renal Dietitian uses his/her expertise to provide sound dietary advice to patients and evaluate dietary treatments of kidney disease.
- Assess nutritional needs, dietary restrictions, and current health plans to develop and implement dietary care plans and provide nutritional counseling.
- Consult with physicians and health care personnel to determine nutritional needs and dietary restrictions of patients.
- Collaborate with primary care providers, Nephrologists, and/or dialysis centers to develop a collaborative dietary plan of care and to obtain IDPN when appropriate.
- Advise patients and their families on nutritional principles, dietary plans and diet modifications, and food selection and preparation.
- Counsel individuals and/or groups on basic rules of good nutrition, healthy eating habits, and nutrition monitoring to improve their quality of life.
- Assist with developing or providing renal-friendly recipes to patients and/or caregivers to support compliance with dietary prescription and restrictions.
- Participate in educational shopping trips with patients and/or caregivers when needed to help them learn to navigate new dietary restrictions and locating the best food choices to support their care plan.
- Help patients and/or caregivers find renal-friendly food sources when challenged with affording food or when they live in food deserts.
- Conduct in-home assessments and face to face visits are necessary (up to 50% same day travel for this role).
MEASURE OF SUCCESS:
- Patient Engagement and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in food and nutrition, dietetics, food service systems management, and other health-related courses.
- Registered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Licensed in Nutrition/Dietetics as required by the applicable state.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience hospital or dialysis facility.
- Must be knowledgeable of dietary practices and procedures as well as the laws, regulations, and guidelines governing dietary functions.
- Must possess leadership ability and willingness to work harmoniously with and provide guidance to other personnel.
- Must have the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, etc.
- Proficient in MS Office, electronic medical records programs and lab data programs.
- Unrestricted driver’s license and reliable transportation (role has up to 50% same day travel for face to face visits).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Somatus, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.
Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed