Interested in a career with both meaning and growth? Whether your abilities are in direct patient care or one of the many other areas of healthcare administration and support, everyone at Parkland works together to fulfill our mission: the health and well-being of individuals and communities entrusted to our care. By joining Parkland, you become part of a diverse healthcare legacy that’s served our community for more than 125 years. Put your skills to work with us, seek opportunities to learn and join a talented team where patient care is more than a job. It’s our passion.
PRIMARY PURPOSE Provides complex, clinical specialty care for assigned patient population through non-diagnostic telephone assessment. Uses medically-approved nursing assessment guidelines, educational knowledge base and nursing experience to determine level of urgency and timeframe for medical evaluation of patient symptoms and/or situation.
Education: – Must be a graduate from an accredited school of nursing.
– Must have four (4) years of nursing experience to include direct patient care assessment.
-BioTel: Must have two (2) years of nursing experience in an emergency services environment or paramedic field experience in either a BioTel agency or air medical agency.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience: – May have an equivalent combination of education and experience to substitute for both the education and the experience requirements.
– Must have current, valid RN license or temporary RN license from the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license.
– Must obtain within 90 days of hire or placement in role a healthcare provider CPR course completion card from one of the following: o American Heart Association o American Red Cross o Military Training Network
-May be required to have additional specialty certifications
Skills or Special Abilities:
– Provides care to assigned patient population in accordance with the current State of Texas Nursing Practice Act, established protocols, multidisciplinary plan of care and clinical area specific standards.
– Must pass typing test with minimum score of 20 words-per-minute and no more than 3 errors
– Must be able to demonstrate effective interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
– Must possess excellent listening skills.
– Must be able to communicate effectively, in English, to include but not limited to, communication via telephone, overhead paging and in person.
– Must be able to demonstrate patient centered/patient valued behaviors and be capable of handling complex clinical care utilizing independent judgment.
– As applicable, will be required to demonstrate acceptable knowledge of nursing standards of care for specialty care area.
-BioTel: Must be able to develop and maintain knowledge of BioTel Medical Control System, all agencies under the BioTel Medical Control System, Trauma Protocols, EMS Protocols, and BioTel Clinical Practice Guidelines.
-BioTel: Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of standard pre-hospital procedures and techniques & appropriate regulatory guidelines.
-BioTel: Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skill in the use of the BioTel equipment system.
1.Provides non-diagnostic telephone assessment of patient¿s symptoms and/or situations adhering to medically approved nursing assessment guidelines to determine the level of urgency and timeframe for evaluation based on nature of symptoms.
2.Completes computerized call documentation in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with established Parkland and department standards, goals, and objectives.
3.Serves as a patient advocate, focusing on patient needs, patient rights, and confidentiality, religious and cultural preferences. Consistently maintains constructive working relationships with all Parkland internal/external customers, employees, etc. and may serve as preceptor to new staff members.
4.Provides needs assessment and age-specific health education for assigned patient population.
5.Receives and supports emergency medical activation calls as dictated by needs of the business, and in accordance with the rotating operational schedule. For example: medical assist, code blue, BERT, others.
6.Participates in exercises, instructor-led and web-based training, and scenario-based training as needed to maintain proficiency in all job accountabilities.
7.Provides non-clinical management for incoming/outgoing calls.
8.BioTel: Responsible for accurate and timely response to incoming calls from field paramedics using the BioTel system. Prioritizes calls, collects patient data, documents condition, health history, ordered treatment and medications, analyzes information and directs field paramedic activities using knowledge of Medical Control, EMS protocols, and ensures that the patient's condition is rapidly assessed and properly managed.
9.BioTel: Ensures that patient transport management is clear and coordinated with appropriate healthcare personnel. Consults with the BioTel physicians when needed. Communicated with EMS providers and necessary allied health providers as to critical patients' arrival. Notified receiving hospitals of patient's status and estimated time of arrival and documents all communications.
10.BioTel: Keeps shift area properly stocked and prepared for oncoming shifts, and sets priorities to ensure that tasks are completed in a timely and productive manner.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.