Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) – Outpatient (PTA)
Provides physical therapy services to patients including treatment, training, and equipment recommendations under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist according to the state requirements of which the provider is practicing.
Education/Training: Graduate of an accredited Physical Therapist Assistant School. Associate degree as a Physical Therapist Assistant.
Experience: No experience needed.
License/Certification/Registration: Maryland, District of Columbia (DC), and/or Virginia licensure required as deemed necessary for your specific location(s). American Heart Association’s BLS for Healthcare Providers CPR certification required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Professional competency as a general practitioner in physical therapy; demonstrates independent use of varied treatment approaches. Able to work in a team environment; organized, timely, detail-oriented; customer service skills for interacting with patients, including communicating with patients and family members of diverse ages and backgrounds; takes initiative in following through with all procedures and policies; effective communication; must be able to utilize computer systems
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Accurately and timely documents and charges for patient care activities painting a clear picture of the patient's course of care under supervision of licensed physical therapist according to the states requirement. Documents ongoing communication with the physical therapist.
- Demonstrates effective time management and meets productivity expectations. Manage an accurate schedule. Is timely and punctual for meetings. Demonstrates a professional commitment to provide frictionless patient access to care through flexibility, adaptability, creativity, and actions/behaviors that display empathy in our patient consumer driven environment
- Arranges schedule for re-evaluations and discharge summaries to be done by a physical therapist.
- Completes appropriate discharge planning, follow-up care, and determination of equipment needs in collaboration with supervising physical therapist. Demonstrates initiative in contributing new ideas for patient treatment. Involves patient and family as appropriate in treatment and discharge planning through education and training.
- Contributes to the development and achievement of established department goals and objective. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Provides patient treatment services including review of pertinent history information, safely administering modalities, and providing interventions within the limits of the treatment plan under supervision of licensed physical therapist. Collaborates interventions with other team members toward an interdisciplinary approach where appropriate.
- Recognizes and documents changes/response in patient's condition and contributes to modification of the treatment plan in collaboration with, and under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist.
- Provides verbal/written reports as appropriate for patient progress conferences where applicable.
- Takes initiative in pursing and directing continuing education for professional growth and competency for self and organization. Serves as a clinical instructor to assigned students as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed