Req ID: 11014
Schedule: Part Time
Eskenazi Health serves as the public hospital division of the Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County. Physicians provide a comprehensive range of primary and specialty care services at the 327-bed hospital and outpatient facilities both on and off of the Eskenazi Health downtown campus as well as at 10 Eskenazi Health Center sites located throughout Indianapolis.
Job Role Summary
The Occupational Therapist I is accountable and responsible for provision of occupational therapy services to patients of Eskenazi Health. This position routinely treats adult and geriatric patients; may periodically treat neonatal, pediatric and adolescent patients.
This position will work in a Level 3 NICU setting;
- Evaluate and treat infants in the NICU with a variety of diagnoses which may affect the following systems: family and psychosocial, neurodevelopment, neuromotor, neurobehavioral, musculoskeletal, sensory, oral motor and feeding/swallowing.
- Splint, as indicated.
- Educate nursing and other NICU staff regarding therapy in the NICU, premature infant development, developmentally supportive care, role of therapy in the NICU, and oral feeding practice.
- Establish a plan of care which is appropriate to problems identified and involves the patient/family. Mentor others on development of care plans.
- Educate the patient and family/caregiver about patient deficits. Plan and/or assist with patient discharge from therapy services and treatment setting.
- Provide information regarding appropriate selection/use of adaptive equipment and support programs.
- Serve as resource for complex diagnoses and care plans.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Adapts evaluation appropriately based on the age and cultural background of patient.
- Reviews medical history and adjust clinical decisions based on information
- Completes thorough and effective evaluation
- Administers appropriate standardized and non-standardized assessments
- Develops age appropriate and reasonable plan of care
- Sets reasonable and appropriate client-centered goals
- Adapts treatment appropriately based on the age and cultural background of patient
- Implements appropriate and timely treatment based on evaluation of patients' physical and psychosocial needs
- Provides client-centered education
- Treatments are creative and effective
- Accurately and timely documents patient evaluation and treatment per documentation standards
- Obtains appropriate signatures
- Justifies charges, reflects skilled therapeutic need, functional improvement and progress towards goals
- Works at or above established productivity level
- Volunteers to take walk-in patients
- Volunteers to float to other teams as needed
- Adjusts schedule according to caseload
- Completion of ancillary tasks that affect patient care
- E-learning and other assigned tasks are completed by the required due dates without reminders
- Authorization requests and insurance requirements are submitted without delaying patient care
- Professional Communication/Collaboration:
- Demonstrates effective communication and teamwork with peers and other staff
- Consults appropriately with physicians and caregivers regarding patient management
- Delegates routine aspects of care as appropriate
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills with staff, patients, family members
- Provides meaningful patient education materials and completes available interdisciplinary forms
- Attends rounds and care conferences
- Responsive when asked to assist co-workers
- Performance Improvement:
- Actively embraces opportunities and ways of improving services, patient care and/or productivity by impacting cost, outcomes and/or patient satisfaction
- Participates in committees and activities and takes an active role in improving processes for the hospital and department
- Promotes change and assists coworkers to transition in a changing work environment
- Student Education:
- Effectively and efficiently manages the student's learning experience.
- Adequately orients student
- Assures student compliance with Policies & Procedures and HIPAA regulations
- Gives constructive feedback on regular basis
- Observes students with various patient types and adjusts supervision levels accordingly
- Communicates appropriately with educational/ school program coordinator
- Represents Eskenazi Health in a professional manner to the student
- Clinical Competence:
- Serves as instructor for orientations and competencies as appropriate
- Attends continuing education and pursues opportunities to improve skills
- Attends and participates in in-services
- Seeks out expertise from co-workers and shares own knowledge with others
- Treats a variety of patient diagnoses effectively
- Time and Priority Management:
- Prioritizes multiple tasks to maximize time spent in direct patient care
- Reports to work on time and on a consistent basis
- Is not in the disciplinary process per the hospital attendance policy guidelines
- Completes assigned tasks and projects on time without reminders
- Minimizes delays with patient care and appointments
- Triages patients to minimize functional decline and facilitate throughput
Graduate of AOTA approved curriculum. Licensed as an Occupational Therapist in State of Indiana or eligible to do so.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in a NICU setting preferred.
Accredited by The Joint Commission and named one of the nation’s 150 best places to work by Becker’s Hospital Review for four consecutive years and Forbes list of best places to work for women, and Forbes list of America’s best midsize employers’ Eskenazi Health’s programs have received national recognition while also offering new health care opportunities to the local community. As the sponsoring hospital for Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services, the city’s primary EMS provider, Eskenazi Health is also home to the first adult Level I trauma center in Indiana, the only verified adult burn center in Indiana, the first community mental health center in Indiana and the Eskenazi Health Center Primary Care – Center of Excellence in Women’s Health, just to name a few.
Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed