This position is located in a school associated with NAS Oceana; candidate must be local to the military base or willing to relocate to become local. Candidates must be licensed at the independent level in the state of Virginia as a Social Worker (LCSW), Therapist (LMFT), Mental Health Counselor (LPC), or Psychologist.
This position has the primary responsibility of providing the full breadth of Child and Youth Behavioral (CYB) counseling services to children of all ages of military service members and their families at military installations and off military installations. These services may include non-medical counseling, training/health and wellness presentations, consultation with parents, personnel, schools, and consultation to installation command regarding behavioral health issues affecting children and youth. CYB School counselors will be assigned to Department of Defense (DoDEA) schools and community schools and will need to have experience working in a school setting to qualify for school position. CYB School counselors will also be assigned to youth programs, summer camps, and on demand assignments. The counselors work closely with the installation and military branch Points of Contact (POC) to assure that the program is provided within scope and meets the needs of the installation and the schools.
- Provides non-medical, short-term, solution focused, counseling directly to children and youth of service members. Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation, action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as appropriate), and follow-up as indicated.
- CYB counselors will also have a focus on supporting the staff and personnel of DoDEA and community schools, and summer camps as well as providing parent training and guidance.
- Provides training and health and wellness presentations, participates in health fairs and other base/installation activities focused on children and youth.
- Enters counselor activity data on a daily basis through smart phone, or web application, to assure that reporting is accurate from assigned installation while maintaining confidentiality and anonymity of service/family member.
- Creates a presence in the school; is available to children, youth, and staff. When working with children, the counselor must abide by line of sight protocol (another adult with responsibility for the child must be able to see the counselor and child they are working with at all times).
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with community resources focused on children and youth and provides appropriate linkages.
- Partners with POC to provide CYB services in a manner that addresses the needs of the installation/facility. Develops an effective and professional working relationship with the installation/facility POC.
- Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations according to DoD protocol and staffs the cases with Regional Supervisor/Regional Director.
- Communicates with Regional Supervisor and participates in regular individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding trends and issues on the installations and in facilities to which they are assigned.
- Responds to critical incidents and special requests as directed by the POC and approved by the Office of Secretary of Defense (OSD) program manager. The CYB will flex schedule to respond to urgent requests as needed.
- Participates in regular in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other contract activities as assigned/appropriate.
Other Job Requirements
- Master’s Degree from an accredited Graduate Program in a Mental Health related field.
- Valid unrestricted counseling license from a State, District of Columbia, US Territory or Commonwealth that grants authority to provide counseling services as an independent practitioner.
- Must meet the Magellan MFLC CYB criteria for experience with children and youth and specialty in child and adolescent development/psychology.
- For assignments in the 50 states, counselors shall be licensed or certified in the state in which the client is receiving services.
- Minimum 2 years of post-masters supervised clinical experience.
- Requires ability to engage and communicate with military members or children as assigned, in order to accomplish job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any physical location on a military installation and/or within a school setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other military base conditions. Due to the nature of working on military installations or related worksites, counselors may need to comply with various site-specific requirements to work at designated locations. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need to have certain current immunizations or vaccinations and provide record of receipt.
- Ability to prove US Citizenship and must be fluent in English.
- Understanding, sensitivity and empathy for children, service members and their families. Ability to develop trusting, helping relationships. Ability to work effectively with individuals and families from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- School assigned counselors must have past work experience in a school setting to qualify for assignment.
- Pass a Child National Agency Check and Inquiries (CNACI) Clearance and an Installation Records Check (IRC), Criminal History Background Check and FBI Fingerprints Check.
- Prior military service/military family member and/or strong familiarity with military culture preferred.
General Job Information
Military Therapist Oceana VA
Masters: Behavioral Health (Required), Masters: Social Work (Required)
License and Certifications – Required
Current licensure required for this position that meets State, Commonwealth or customer-specific requirements – Care Mgmt, DL – Driver License, Valid In State – Other, Must be an independently licensed behavioral health clinician – Care Mgmt
License and Certifications – Preferred
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed